Folly Road / Camp Road Intersection Improvements
Drawings & Maps
Folly at Camp Webcam
There are no images in this gallery.
Project Status: Under Construction
Roadway construction is underway. Phase one of the project was completed in March, providing repairs and resurfacing on Folly Road. Phase two started April 18th; it includes roadway and drainage improvements and underground water and sewer line relocations along Camp Road and Rivers Point Row and is 95% complete. SCE&G has completed relocation of power lines and poles, and relocation of SCE&G gas lines and AT&T communication lines along Camp Road is complete. Roadway, drainage and utility relocation work on Folly Road has begun.
The Folly Road and Camp Road Intersection Improvements Project on James Island involves improvements to Folly Road from approximately 1,000 feet south of Camp Road to the intersection with Eugene Gibbs Street and Rivers Point Row and improvements to Camp Road from West Madison Avenue to Oyster Point Row. The major components of the project improvements are:
- Folly Road will be widened to provide an additional turn lane for the southbound traffic turning left from Folly Road onto Camp Road. A dedicated right-turn lane will be added for northbound traffic turning right from Folly Road onto Camp Road.
- Camp Road will be widened so that two lanes of traffic can turn left from Folly Road onto Camp Road. Dedicated left turn lanes will be added on both sides of Camp Road approaching Folly Road. A dedicated right turn lane will be added on Camp Road for traffic turning right onto Folly Road toward downtown Charleston.
- Eugene Gibbs Street and Rivers Point Row will be realigned at Folly Road. Dedicated left-turn lanes will be added on Eugene Gibbs Street and Rivers Point Row for traffic turning from these streets onto Folly Road. A dedicated right-turn lane will be provided on Rivers Point Row for traffic turning onto Folly Road.
- Four-foot wide bicycle lanes and five-foot wide sidewalks will be added on both sides of Folly Road from Calvary Baptist Church to the Eugene Gibbs Street and Rivers Point Row intersection. A five-foot wide sidewalk will be constructed on Camp Road from Folly Road to Oyster Point Row (on the side of the road where the fire station is located). All sidewalks have been designed to meander around existing grand trees.
- Stoplight upgrades will be made at the intersections of Camp Road at Folly Road and Eugene Gibbs Street/Rivers Point Road at Folly Road. The upgraded stoplights will include pedestrian signals for the improved crosswalks.
- Improvements to roadway drainage include new catch basins, cleaned ditches, new curb and gutter, larger sized drainage pipes and water quality filters.
- Numerous grand live oak trees that line Camp Road will be protected during construction.
See www.follyatcamp.com for more project information.
Past Public Meetings
Three public meetings were held in 2007-2008 during the planning phase of the project. An additional public meeting and a business owner’s meeting were held in April 2016 prior to the start of construction. See www.follyatcamp.com for more information .
- Third Public Meeting handout