Glenn McConnell / I-526 Improvement Project
Drawings & Maps
Project Status: Complete
The Glenn McConnell Parkway/I-526 Improvement project is located within the City of Charleston. The project includes improvements along Glenn McConnell Parkway from Essex Farm Road to Orleans Road. The major components of the project improvements are as follows:
- The widening of Glenn McConnell Parkway to provide an additional lane in each direction for the full length of the project. The widening of Magwood Drive at the Glenn McConnell Parkway intersection (Home Depot/McDonald's side of the highway) to allow for dual left-turn lanes and a through or right-turn lane onto Glenn McConnell Parkway.
- The widening of Magwood Drive at the Glenn McConnell Parkway intersection (hospital side of the highway) to provide for a left-turn only lane, a single through lane, and right-turn lane onto Glenn McConnell Parkway.
- Adjusting the stoplight timing at the intersection of Magwood Drive and Glenn McConnell Parkway to allow left turns from both northbound and southbound lanes of Magwood Drive to occur at the same time.
- Closing the median on Glenn McConnell Parkway at Frontage Road to prohibit left turns and U-turns for improved safety.
- Lengthening the left-turn lanes on Glenn McConnell Parkway toward I-526 eastbound (toward North Charleston and Mount Pleasant) in order to allow more room for vehicles waiting to turn.
- Constructing a five-foot-wide concrete sidewalk along Magwood Drive to connect to the existing sidewalk. Pedestrian signals will be installed on both sides of Glenn McConnell Parkway to allow for pedestrians to cross the intersection, and eight-foot-wide paved shoulders will be constructed, with the exception of the interchange ramp area.
- Creating earthen sound buffers, which include landscaping, along the northbound lanes of Glenn McConnell Parkway to provide a buffer for nearby neighborhoods.
Not available at this time
Past Public Meetings
July 8, 2008 6:00-8:00 PM
West Ashley High School
4060 Wildcat Boulevard