Johnnie Dodds Boulevard
Drawings & Maps
- Click here for map of the detour at Bowman Road.
- Click here for map of new section of West Frontage Road.
- Click here and here to view renderings of the Bowman Road flyover.
- Click here to view the detour map for Von Kolnitz Road Closure.
- Click here to view map of current projects in the area of Johnnie Dodds Boulevard.
- Click here to view Bowman Road Intersection Improvements.
- Click here to view Shellmore Blvd Intersection Improvements.
- Click here to view Dragoon Dr. and Anna Knapp Blvd Intersection Improvements.
- Click here to view Magrath Darby Dr. and Houston Northcut Blvd Intersection Improvements.
- Johnnie Dodds Blvd Groundbreaking Ceremony
- Johnnie Dodds Blvd Completion Ceremony 1
- Johnnie Dodds Blvd Completion Ceremony 2
Project Status: Complete
The notice-to-proceed for the design-build project was issued June 28, 2010.
Update Current Project Status - 04/05/13
- Utility relocations are now complete.
- Drainage work is complete.
All improvements on the project are now open to traffic.
The project involved improving approximately three miles of Johnnie Dodds Boulevard (U.S. Highway 17) from just north of the Arthur J. Ravenel, Jr. Bridge to the south side of the I-526 interchange, including the associated frontage roads and side streets. The major component of the project was the construction of a new overpass to carry Johnnie Dodds Boulevard traffic over Bowman Road.
- Widened Johnnie Dodds Boulevard from two lanes to three lanes in both north and south directions.
- Constructed curb and gutter along the entire length of the project.
- Widened the frontage roads to provide one lane in each direction with 4-foot wide, marked bicycle lanes and sidewalks.
- Constructed a diamond-shaped interchange with a new overpass so drivers on Johnnie Dodds Boulevard can cross over Bowman Road.
- Constructed traffic signal upgrades and pedestrian crosswalks at the following intersections along Johnnie Dodds Boulevard: Magrath Darby Boulevard, Mathis Ferry Road, Houston-Northcutt Boulevard, Shelmore Boulevard and Anna Knapp Boulevard, with auxiliary turn lanes where needed.
- Constructed single left turn lanes from Johnnie Dodds Boulevard to Shelmore Boulevard and Anna Knapp Boulevard, with the ability to expand in the future if needed.
- Designed and constructed a replacement bridge on Bowman Road over Shem Creek, including roadway and drainage improvements. The bridge is approximately 90 feet long and 80 feet wide, and includes sidewalks on both sides.
- Widened Bowman Road to six lanes from Johnnie Dodds Boulevard to Shem Creek, which will connect with the Town of Mount Pleasant's Bowman Road Widening Project when completed.
- Installed new traffic signals at the ramp tie-ins at Bowman Road where East Frontage Road intersects with Houston-Northcutt Boulevard and Bowman Road; and West Frontage Road intersects with Mathis Ferry Road, Anna Knapp Boulevard and Bowman Road. These traffic signals are interconnected to, and signal timing coordinated with, the signal upgrades on Johnnie Dodds Boulevard.
- Added street lighting and landscaping along the median and between Johnnie Dodds Boulevard and the frontage road system.
To view Environmental Assessments, click on the following:
|Part 1||Part 6|
|Part 2||Part 7|
|Part 3||Part 8|
|Part 4||Part 9|
|Part 5||Part 10|
Past Public Meetings
February 22, 2011
Past Public Meetings
Mt. Pleasant Municipal Complex Gym
December 17, 2008