U.S. 17 / S.C. 61 / Wesley Drive
Drawings & Maps
- Click here to see the aerial overlay of the improvements
- Lane Assignment Changes on Folly Road at Windermere Boulevard
Project Status: Complete
The U.S. 17 / S.C. 61 / Wesley Drive Improvements Project in West Ashley involves improvements to Folly Road from south of Windermere Boulevard (Wappoo Bridge side) continuing up Wesley Drive to St. Andrews Boulevard (S.C. 61). The project also includes improvements to Folly Road Boulevard.
The major components of the project improvements are:
- Heading from Wappoo Bridge toward downtown Charleston:
- Traffic lanes will be changed to include a left turn only lane from Folly Road onto Windermere Boulevard.
- The remaining three lanes will be changed to provide for a through only lane to Wesley Drive, a driver option lane to Wesley Drive or Folly Road Boulevard, and a through only lane to Folly Road Boulevard.
- Improvements to Wesley Drive between Folly Road and U.S. 17 (Savannah Highway) will include new curb and gutter, drainage improvements and new sidewalks. Additional measures will be made behind the sidewalk to improve drainage for adjacent properties.
- The existing sidewalks on Folly Road Boulevard will be replaced from Folly Road to Albemarle Road to include new ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) compliant curb ramps.
- The project limits on Folly Road and Wesley Drive will be resurfaced and will include new pavement markings and improved crosswalks.
- The sidewalk will be widened to 10 feet for pedestrians and bicyclists using the West Ashley Greenway to travel to the crosswalks at Windermere Boulevard and Folly Road.
- The existing crosswalk at Wesley Drive and St. Andrews Boulevard will be relocated to shorten the pedestrian crossing distance.
- Stoplight upgrades at the intersections of Folly Road at Windermere Boulevard, Folly Road at Wesley Drive, Wesley Drive at U.S. 17, and Wesley Drive at St. Andrews Boulevard. The upgraded signals will include pedestrian hand/man signals for the improved crosswalks.
- Measures will be taken to protect the grand trees that line Wesley Drive and U.S. 17 during construction.
- Landscaping will be added at the intersection of Wesley Drive and Folly Road including improved landscaping for the large island at the intersection of Folly Road and Wesley Drive.
Past Public Meetings
First Public Meeting - July 27, 2006
The goal of the first meeting was to solicit public input regarding the public's opinion and concern about the current problems and possible solutions. Comments obtained at the first meeting were combined with results of traffic analysis and were used to develop several improvement concept alternatives which were presented at the second public meeting.
Second Public Meeting - Nov. 16, 2006
The second public meeting was held at St. Andrews Elementary School, with 51 citizens in attendance. Five alternatives were presented, and the public was given the opportunity to comment on the alternatives with a comment form that was distributed at the meeting. The comment period for this meeting closed on Nov. 30, 2007.
Third Public Meeting - March 22, 2007
At the second public meeting, the public preferred Alternative C. The preferred improvement was further refined based on citizen comments and presented at the third public meeting held at St. Andrews Elementary School. The modified Alternative C was presented to the 67 citizens in attendance.
Fourth Public Meeting - February 2, 2011
The final project design and the project construction schedule were presented to the 26 citizens that were in attendance.